Saturday, September 30, 2006

I've got a grad plan! ...kind of!

I can't say I ever was one to profoundly appreciate poetry or take an writing course for fun, but somehow French makes everything sound better. Take Rudyard Kipling's If translated into Si

The first stanza, for example:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;

Si tu peux voir détruit l’ouvrage de ta vie
Et sans dire un seul mot te mettre à rebâtir,
Ou perdre d’un seul coup le gain de cent parties
Sans un geste et sans un soupir ;

It's got style, it's got flair (it's "The Nanny"?); c'est doux et moins brutal, on dirait...

Anyway, I've decided to use my last 2 semesters to finish off the French Extended Minor I started years ago. Something like:

Spring:
  • FREN 301 Advanced French Composition
  • FREN 230 Introduction to French-Canadian Literature
  • FREN 360 Intermediate French Literature
  • FREN 370 Introduction to French Linguistics II
Summer:
  • MACM 316 Numerical Analysis
  • FREN 474 French Poetry
  • FREN 410 French Stylistics
Or do a USRA during the summer... oh and there's also this French Contemporary Theatre one I think'd be really cool... eh, I don't have to graduate on time, right?

(You say: "Well Angelica, it's too late for that, now, isn't it?")

eheh... *cough*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch out, or you'll end up like Trevor, wanting to do more and more on your degree and never graduating.

Unknown said...

Noah: Yeah, well it's kind of embarassing that even with a year in France, I still make written grammar mistakes like a 12-yr-old msn'ing to her friends (ala "c koi ca",etc). So really, it's just about "la honte".

And Eugene, yeah, well I also saw these really cool CS courses I still wanna take too... what to do!?

Anonymous said...

soooo how did u learn french?? T T~ its sooo hard... crab!! >< i love it.. ur poem ^^ good job!