Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Alright, you got me. How could I not post? Coming back to live in California is not quite as I remember from when I was a young child of 8 years (I remember "fishing").

Things I have learned so far:
1. Everyone in LA has a Blackberry.
2. I don't think I really want to go out after dark.
3. Canadians stick out like a sore thumb even without the flag sewn onto their backpacks.
4. Santa Monica is EXPENSIVE. 
5. I've fallen in love with that warm, Pacific breeze.

Unfortunately, I can't divulge much due to an NDA and my findability on the web... sigh. It would make for such good blogging. What I can say is that Google Santa Monica seems to be a hip, happenin', welcoming place, and I am happy to be here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a great site here; fun for me to see another person interested in both fiction and artificial intelligence.

Maybe change the Israelliene Officiere's (sp? forgot already) comment to 'your reason?' Ever notice how movies make foreigners sound illiterate in their own languages, when the movie translates the speech abroad? e.g. an American movie in Russia about RUssians will have them talk in broken english, as though that's the english equivalent of their russian. :)

A matter of artistic taste: you might consider a less expository style when describing actions in third-person perspective. Once you've described the officer's attempt not to laugh, physically, you don't need to also tell the reader 'as though trying not to laugh,' for example.

You are leading an interesting life and confronting interesting ideas. I think your fiction will be great. Keep at it!

I'd be curious if you had any tips on how to find good code examples in python for opencv 2.1. I'm jumping into both the language and computer vision at once (as of a month ago), and enjoying both. But it's still helpful for me to read code, and most of what I find is in C++.

Keep up the great work here!

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I like the idea of putting "Your reason?" or even just "Reason?" Sounds so antagonistic!

As for OpenCV, try http://opencv.willowgarage.com/documentation/python/cookbook.html

If I'm not mistaken, once you download opencv2.1, you should also be able to find an examples folder within the python directory (or vice versa, somewhere in there). Good luck!